Friday, April 26, 2024

Dash the night away

At the same time I've become more comfortable with dashing - knowing what to do, doing the right thing, etc., dashing has dried up a little in Galesburg. It is no longer easy to get on there in the afternoons or evenings when I need to. It is hard to schedule anything reasonable.

I can attribute it to low ratings - I have a 4.47, right below the line; the line offers the better fares to those above it. I've always seen the ratings as relatively random, as I'm the same polite guy no matter what, and things are only late if someone screws up or doubles up on me. That's not true of every time, I guess, but I don't really screw up all that much, or if I do, I don't know about it. It seems some people mark you down for random reasons, like no ketchup, and there isn't much you can do.

So I'm stuck dashing a lot here on the weekend when the rain is making lots of work and when in general there's lots of work anyway. You have to do what you have to do. The rain doesn't really bother me - even when it's raining hard, I don't have to go that far in it - but it's a kind of bleak scene to be out working in.

As for Galesburg itself, I've come to know it better - I know where the people live, and what they like to eat, and when they're excited or something's going on. I recognize some of the homeless. I live and breathe its urbane nature.

I'll try to provide some stories. I've come to have to work nights, and I'm not crazy about it, but it makes for good stories I think. It's curious how Knoxville is a kind of appendage, too - I like Knoxville too, as it's part of the same situation. We're all in this western Illinois boat together. And it's raining hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dash the night away

At the same time I've become more comfortable with dashing - knowing what to do, doing the right thing, etc., dashing has dried up a lit...