Saturday, July 6, 2024

Broad & Mary

This is kind of a post about the Fourth of July weekend. It would seem difficult to get out of it without some kind of excitement. We went to the fireworks on Thursday night and my basic observation was: the city guys are getting better at it (I'd been in New Mexico for six years, fireworks strictly conntrolled), and, there were private sidewalk exhibitions all over the place, much to the consternation of the dogs I'm sure, but especially on the south side.

Last night, in the evenning, my daughter came downstairs having seen an accident at the corner of Broad and Mary. Wow! Here it is more or less right out my window and I hadn't seen it. The dogs perch themselves on a couch right in front of me but they hadn't gone off either, no dog involved obviously. My daughter however was very animated; she hadn't seen anything like that for a long time.

It seems a guy in a blue truck hit a woman in a newer bright red speed-demon kind of car. She was against the northwest curb as if she had turned left onto Mary from northbound Broad. My wife speculated that he'd been trying to pass her when she turned, but his truck was now facing the other way. They were loading her onto an ambulance. Two firetrucks responded. The road was blocked off. We watched for a while.

My daughter said she thought the woman sounded drunk. This might sound like slander but I've said such things before. Who knows, I didn't hear anyone, but I can tell you that anything is possible. I was doing a lot of door-dashing and noticing the elements of a wild holiday out there, grateful in the evening to be home and to have it behind me. One gets off the road in this kind of holiday.

Which reminds me, one more door-dash fiasco. Another order from Smokin Willies on the Fourth, and the place was closed; I got out of the order. The proprietor comes by in a pickup truck to say it's closed; ok, that doesn't bother me anymore, I got out of it, I'm just sitting here in the shade, enjoying that barbeque smell, trying to decide where to go next. Lots of places including Pizza Ranch seemed to have a system breakdown and plenty of others seemed to have young kids there who just didn't have a clue. Such is the weekend - the people who know what they're doing are long gone, out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

deco report

My focus this year is on what I see , as I drive around a lot, and have seen much of the town. Granted, I'm based more on the north side...