Saturday, August 17, 2024

A traveling, fleeting museum, that's what it is. You never know what you'll get, but you'll get something, and it will be art. It may be art you don't understand. Or it may be not yet art. But you'll get something.

I'm talking about the trains, and I know I'm one of the few who look at the graffiti and say, I wonder what he was trying to say. Sometimes, if it's going slow enough, you can read the words more carefully and enjoy the art that they are packaged in. Most of the graffiti seems to be signatures of some kind, identifying the spray painter.

Oh yes I know it's illegal, and I'm not here to apologize or justify their tresspassing. Or vandalizing, you can say, if you really detest it. It is vandalism; oit's sopmeone else's property, and they're just painting all over it. So no, I'm not here to say that's ok or even legitimate; I wouldn't make a book out of it because that glorifies crime. Do we want a lawless society?

But on the other hand, you have to wait for the train anyway. And it's one kind of art that is out there, right where you'll see it every time. We in Galesburg often have to wait for them, and sometimes they stop right on the road. Or there are two of them, one in each direction. Or two, attached onto each other, same direction. We can lose in lots of ways. And we do.

But all we lose is time, and if there's an art exhibit on right in front of us, maybe that's what we should be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

deco report

My focus this year is on what I see , as I drive around a lot, and have seen much of the town. Granted, I'm based more on the north side...