Friday, September 13, 2024

decoration season

Now that I've seen the first full-flung fall decoration of the year, it's time to make some generalizations and set out some goals for the season. Generalizations first.

It's not that the Christmas deco has abated any, it's more that the fall deco has really caught on. There are lots of possibilities: ghosts, dead people, zombies, monsters, skeletons, etc., lots to work with. It's a season when people are out, enjoying the fresh air and the turning of the trees; in fact, the turning of the trees adds something to the general effect. The zombie/death themes really appeal to a whole generation of decorators who, like their parents, have nothing better to do in a small town but decorate the heck out of things, but who, like their peers, reject all traditional methods and really want to take off on their own path.

I sensed that people couldn't wait until Sept. 1 to get started, but I didn't see my first fall deco until about Sept. 1. That's two months early. But no problem, get it on up there so we can see it. While you can only do Christmas lights in red and green, in fall you can use purple and especially orange, and blood colors, and go to town. So get it on out there and we'll come around and look.

The first full-fledged one, a whole yard-full, is on Monroe just south of Fremont, on the east side of the street. I'm not sure if it's the first one altogether. I know of one in my neighborhood, on Cedar between Osage and Fremont, and when that guy gets going it's something to see; he'll probably give us a yardful. I say get it out there. It's artistic; it's expressive; if you're all about death and vampires or zombies we can handle it. We can at least judge and evaluate on our own terms.

Here are my goals. It's kind of like being stuck behind a train, looking at the graffiti, and saying, I really want to know more about this so I have some idea of what I'm looking at. We can all start with what we like, and say, that one's nice. We can all admit that we have no idea of what it actually takes to construct a zombie that will hold up to the weather and still be haunting, glowing, etc. But I'd like to use this site to explore some of these questions. I think we probably have as good fall deco as any town and I'd like to just point out where it's good, keep track of it, commend its artists, etc. I'd actually like to do the same for train graffiti but I assure you I'm nowhere near close to qualified. You'll have to accept my spontaneous offerings and random opinions about what's good and what's not. I have no hostility about it whatsoever. There's no point in telling people they should stick with mangers and Christian scenes; some people even sport Trump flags like there's some sense in letting the country be run over by a rapist pedophile fraud draft dodger. In light of reality, what harm is a few zombies?

So let's get on with it. Go out and deco. I'll be watching. I am, after all, a door-dasher, and I get on a lot of these streets, often. My goal is to ultimately know what I'm talking about,

No comments:

Post a Comment

deco report

My focus this year is on what I see , as I drive around a lot, and have seen much of the town. Granted, I'm based more on the north side...